Monday, July 19, 2010

Eggs, bacon, sausage and...

SPAM!

No one does paeans to pop culture like the Americans!

There is a SPAM Museum in Austin Minnesota. Unfortunately, I was driving by it in the wee hours this morning and couldn't wait for opening time. But how tantalizing could such a place be?

Out in the middle of a whole lot of nuthin' much, at 1937 Span Boulevard. Free admission too. And just up the road from the Hormel Plant and the Hormel Medical Research Facility (what do they research there... how many preservatives it takes to stop your heart?)

I'll share a fact from the brochure... in 1942 a military base was nicknamed "Spamville" and its location was kept secret. Also, SPAM was taken to the top of Everest.

I have a special place in my heart for SPAM. Not the food, not the junk mail, but the word... being of British heritage I feel it's important to claim my lineage to all things Python. But beyond that, it was my trade school nickname. Sam/SPAM. I thought mine was less than glamorous until my friend Chris Ball pointed out that he got called g*nad...

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well there isn't MUCH Spam in it... Ya gotta love Python.
I also LOVE spam. spam and eggs, spam and spam, spam sandwiches... shall I go on?