Thursday, July 30, 2009

Florence from Above




If you want to see the whole city at once, head up to the Piazzale Michelangelo. It’s up a pretty big hill in the south east corner, south of the Arno. No, dear friends, I didn’t walk it. I took a bus up the hill (number 12 or 13 for future reference), although I rewarded myself with refreshing lemon gelato as if I had hiked!

FYI - the panoramic pic above was done with the iPhone Pano app - pretty slick for a phone camera, eh?

The square boasts an odd tribute to Michelangelo: a bronze copy of his David, on a pedestal bearing the four unfinished figures from the tombs of the Medici. Perhaps it is an apt representation as David was early in his career, and the Medici tombs late.

Rick Steves’ guide book says that in the evening, the local youth go to this square to “lick ice creams and each other.” I bugged out while the sun was still shining!

No comments: